Re: Logs and Permissions for Daemons

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 08:34:52PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Herbert Xu wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with creating a new user when the alternative is
> > running as root.
>
> Yes there is. We have a scant number of dynamically allocated low user ID's,
                          ^^^^^

We have about 900.  On my system, Herbert's voracious packages are using
three.  Other packages, all combined, are using zero.  Needless to say,
I'm not sweating this one.

Compartmentalization is _soooo_ worth it.

Andrew

--
As the microkernel unix people used to say before they finally died out, "We
are within X% of the performance of the original".