Re: Logs and Permissions for Daemons

* Wichert Akkerman said:
> Previously Michael Stone wrote:
> > That's a terrible idea. What we need is a debconf'd way for the sysadmin
> > to select a range for static id's. When you start talking about numbers
> > like 60000, you're going to run into site policies that are already
> > using them. <100 is fairly common, >60000 isn't.
>
> It's not a terrible idea, and it has been policy for ages.
Hmm, I'm rather with Mike in this one - I'm using uids > 60000 for my
template users (for quotas), for stuff like minivendor user ID and similar
purposes. It works well, but can be easily broken when some software wants
to use a fixed >60000 ID that happens to be used by one of the
abovementioned users. Perhaps a dynamic allocation scheme for the UIDs
>60000 would be a good solution?

marek