Re: ITP rio

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Vincent L. Mulhollon wrote:

>I chose the very uncreative name "rio" because I searched the Debian
>Packages archive and did not find a package by that name.  I also checked
>the Debian WNPP page and it appears to me no one else is working on Rio
>support.

That sounds like a reasonable name.  Had I been the one to package it, I
probably would have chosen 'sba-rio'.

>I propose placing rio in the "sound" section instead of the "otherosfs"
>section because the rio does not have much of an operating system, and mp3's
>are a sound file.

This is reasonable.  I'd suggest priority 'extra'.

>Annoyingly enough I have already more or less sucessfully created a Debian
>package of rio version 1.06 and now it seems I have to do it all over again
>for version 1.07.  I have had no problems compiling the source, my primary
>task is to Debian package the program.

Hmm... I've had some problems with the current toolchain in potato.  I've
narrowed it down to either glibc 2.1 or gcc 2.95 (or both) munging the io
port read/writes. I had to hack in a patch that uses the /dev/port
facility of Linux.

>This is my first Debian package, I have applied to become a developer, I
>know the application system is somewhat stopped, and I am subscribing to the
>debian-mentors mailling list right now.
>
>I shall place the package upon my personal website until it is sponsored
>into the archive.  I hope to finish this package before the freeze.

I would be willing to sponsor the package.

Brian