Re: all xterms

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > Forcing of use of any other xterm wont be good also. I suggest
> > making a file `/usr/X11R6/bin/sensible-xterm' and using it by all
> > xwms and other programs that have to use a xterm.

> This is utterly gratuitous and already being handled by the
> x-terminal-emulator alternative and virtual package.

The disadvantage of the alternative concept over some sensible-xterm
shell script is, that alternatives are static for all users, while
sensible-xterm could be used on a per-user basis (with
x-terminal-emulator as the fall back).

I think that every user should have a chance to decide himself what
terminal emulator he wants to use, especially if some users want to
show Japanese characters and need kterm for this.  Okay, everybody can
start a different terminal emulator by hand, but it should especially
work if the user uses a window manager menu or something like this.

So here's my proposal:
- Implement the x-terminal-emulator for all terminal emulators.
- Add a script sensible-x-terminal-emulator to the debianutils (where
  sensible-pager and sensible-editor live) which looks for an
  environment variable XTERMEMULATOR and if this isn't set, falls back
  to x-term-emulator.

Is this acceptable?

Ciao

        Roland