Re: all xterms

Hi,

From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com>
Subject: all xterms
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:49:41 +0200

> The original xterm(1x) is not good but it is default of many
> programs and xwms. Forcing of use of any other xterm wont be
> good also. I suggest making a file `/usr/X11R6/bin/sensible-xterm'
> and using it by all xwms and other programs that have to use a xterm.
> The user's favourite program will be set in XTERM
> variable and if this variable hasnt been found,
> sensible-xterm will run `xterm'.

This is a good idea.

Personally, I rarely use xterm, because it cannot display Japanese
character.  However, for example, Debian menu system uses xterm
as a terminal-emulator on which console softwares work.  With
'sensible-xterm', Debian menu system will be usable for Japanese
(, Korean, and Chinese) people because I will be able to select
kterm or krxvt.  (AFAIK, they are only two terminal-emulators which
can display Japanese characters.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/