Re: some statistics on using bz2 for packages

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> thanks for the informative reply.
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 08:44:07PM -0400, Terry Katz wrote:
> > DVD-R's are still relatively 'new', and, just like when the first CD-R
> > drives came out, they are a bit expensive ..
>
> > You can get a good Pioneer (supporting 3.5gig and 4.2gig) for approx
> > $5,400 and I've only seen prices going up and up from there (another
> > pioneer at $16,000, and a complete hardware/software package at a high
> > of $72,000)
>
> i presume that's for the burners. ouch. way too expensive for mere
> mortals.
>
> how much are the readers?  reasonable (i.e. under $400-$600) or still
> overpriced?

Uhmm, they are getting pretty cheap here in Sweden. When you
go for IDE, at least.

> > I'm not sure how much of the population currently have DVD drives ..
>
> so it's still at least a year or two away before they're common i guess.

Yup.

> > So, are there still people actively using 386's?  The lowest end
> > machine I still use is a P-90 which is acting as a masquerade for
> > my home network (and it does the job perfectly ;-)... we still have
> > a bunch of older thinkpad's with 486's, but their re-deployed as
> > bookends and door stops currently..
>
> 386 boxes are still commonly used for routers....although 486s are dirt
> cheap these days (can get them for nothing, or for $10-$20 at a computer
> market).
>
> lots of people have an old 386 or 486 box gathering dust which they
> might want to trial linux on.
>
> 386s are still quite common in the countries which we rich westerners
> exploit mercilessly to support our lifestyle of conspicuous consumption
> and waste. i think that a completely free linux dist like debian is
> ideal for these countries.
>
> there's a local project here in Melbourne called computerbank, which
> scavenges/begs for old 386 & 486 boxes. they then install linux (debian,
> actually) on them and give them to non-profits, NGOs, charities, etc
> (and also sometimes to students, pensioners, and the unemployed). i
> think their URL is www.computerbank.org.au. there are related projects
> in other States in australia, and probably all around the world.

Cool!

> FWIW, my 2nd last 486 box (actually and AMD 586-133) got replaced by
> a celeron a few months ago. my last 486 is scheduled to be turned off
> and have everything it is doing (mostly mail for a couple of domains
> belonging to a friend) moved onto the celeron. the celeron will do the
> job better and i'll save a bit on the electricity bills.

My "hottest" box is a 486slc2 50MHz... All the boxes I do the
MCA-development on (except for the compiling, which I perform at the Uni's
AMD K6-2 instead) are either 386's or 486's.

Oh, and we shouldn't only think of Intel here. Consider m68k also.
A 68020/68030 isn't very fast, but they are nice for Debian (at least
yet.)

/David Weinehall, maintainer of the MCA support in the Linux-kernel
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      \\
//  Project MCA Linux hacker        //  Dance across the winter sky //
\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire           </