The freeze, Nethack, and Y2K compliance

I maintain the nethack package, and as many folks are aware, it's
not Y2K-compliant (uses %2d for the year in the log files).

There isn't a new version yet from upstream. Should I:

A) patch it and submit the patch upstream
B) request it be removed from the archives
C) panic and run around like a chicken without a head

A) looks doable but would take some work to keep old log-files
compatible with the new format.. and we would be diverging from
upstream in a big way. :/ But if we release with a nethack package
that doesn't work...

--
Brought to you by the letters G and N and the number 17.
"Sculch is junk."