Re: Source packages generating non-free and free binary packages (was: Re: [Debian Installer <maor-installer@debian.org>] Reminder: imagemagick_4.2.9-1_i386.changes was rejected)

Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:

> Imagemagick comes with a compilation switch which enables LZW
> compression and decompression. When compiling with LZW, the generated
> packages are "non-free" since they content patented algorithms. When
> compiling without LZW support, the generated packages are free.
>
> Now the problem is "where do the source belong ?".
>
>  1) I duplicate the exact same sources in main and non-free (which was
>     what the previous maintainer was doing).

And both sources have to go to non-free, because they contain non-free
parts. You have to remove all non-free parts from the source to get it
into main. Patents are realy ugly, but you have to live with that.

>  2) The source packages go to main, and generates packages for main
>     and non-free (that's what I was trying to do, but dinstall didn't
>     like it).

Thats against policy.

>  3) Any other suggestion ?

You put the source to non-free and it generates a non-free and a main
binary package. No source duplication, no policy or law violation.

> And are the sources considered free or not ?

Most of the time, meaning not everywhere.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin