Localized install (was: Default language for system)

* Piotr Roszatycki said:

> > I have one question: can the raw Linux console display Polish
> > characters (ISO-8859-2?) correctly?

[snip]

> > And note: /etc/environment affects not only an administrator's
> > environment but also all users' environments.
>
> Yes, but remember all my users will use this language and some of them
> don't understand English at all.
That's *your* users and it's *your* local decision, not the Debian one. I
don't see a problem in resetting *once* the LANG variable in
/etc/environment. Do it once and forget about the case until somebody comes
up to you and asks you to "do something because when he logs in from windows
he cannot see Polish diacritics. Is your system broken?"

> At this time the administrator and the users have to know English language.
No, they don't. All you have to do is to send them an email explaining how
to setup their environment to display everything in Polish. And don't forget
to tell them how to setup F-Secure SSH, SecureCRT or whatever other terminal
emulator they use to log into your system so that they can actually *see*
the Polish diacritics.

> But it isn't true for many people who want to install the Debian distribution.
> I saw a few my friends who installed RedHat or SuSE because of translated
> install program and default settings like LANG variable.
dpkg is being localized right now, I'm sure dinstall will follow. Btw. does
anyone work on Polish translations of these programs? If not, I can take the
task.

> I'll submit a wishlist for boot-floppy. LANG variable should be set on
> first installation.
I agree here as well. The dinstall should ask for the language.

marek