Re: libtool patch -- was Re: easy way to tell if "in" package build ?

Hi Joey,

On 26 Oct, Joey Hess wrote:
 > othman@cs.wustl.edu wrote:
 > > The way I check if we are in the middle of a Debian build is really
 > > hackish but it should work for the most part.  Here is the changelog
 > > entry from my libtool "-3" package:
 > >
 > > libtool (1.3.3-3) unstable; urgency=low
 > >   * Changed the rpath hack to check if debuild is currently running and if
 > >     DEB_BUILD_ARCH variable is of non-zero length.  If both conditions are
 > >     satisfied, it should be safe to assume that libtool is being used in
 > >     the middle of a Debian package build.
 >
 > That fails if you just run "debian/rules binary" by hand.

So much for my "clever" patch. :-)
I removed all remnants of the patch from the "-5" libtool packages
currently available in the archive.

I'm going to be away at the OOPSLA conference next week so I won't be
able to submit a patch upstream for a new libtool option that disables
harcoded library paths until I get back.

BTW, does anyone know if there are any plans to modify debuild/dpkg-*
to set some sort of environment variable that denotes that a package is
currently being built?  If not, and there is interest, I'll gladly file
a wishlist report.  Such a flag seems like a good thing to have.
Opinions?

Thanks,
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis