Re: Ctrl+Alt+Del inittab and shutdown

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Fabien Salvi wrote:

> Thanks for your answers, but if you read carefully my mail, I say that I want Ctrl+Alt+End
> to make a stop, not Ctrl+Alt+Del which still make a reboot.
> I am not stupid, if I just want this, I know how to do :-)
>
> Thanks to Miquel van Smoorenburg, he is the only one who understand my question :

I understood it, I use it... but I use Ctrl-Alt-Ins. no big deal.

> >Use "loadkeys" to connect Ctrl-Alt-End to the "KeyboardSignal" action,
> >then place an appropriate line (with kbrequest) in /etc/inittab.
> >See also man inittab(5).
>
> I understand fairly good, but not the part with KeyboardSignal ; could you tell me more
> about this please ?
> Thanks.

In /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz:

keycode 110 = Insert
        altgr   control keycode 110 = KeyboardSignal
        control alt     keycode 110 = KeyboardSignal

and in /etc/inittab:

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

# Action on special keypress (CTRL-ALT-INS).
kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

Although, for "-End" you need "keycode 107 = Select"

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

    "If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make sure you get taken."
              -Japanese Microsoft ad slogan translated back into English