Re: /etc/profile.d

roland@spinnaker.de (Roland Rosenfeld) writes:

> But if you really need such a mechanism, why don't you create a real
> generic one?

I don't use any other shell on Linux than Bash and have no idea about
other shells.  The only other shells i (unwillingly) touched so far
are the HP-UX-10.20 /bin/{sh,ksh}.  The mechanism i wrote works just
fine for me using Bash only.  Massimo's approach is more general
though because it includes csh support too.  In shorter terms: I lack
the necessary expertise and above all the needed time to aquire the
letter for such a task.  Any other takers?

> If I would need something like this, I would go the
> following way:

Well, how about you? ;-) I would be very happy if we'd get a
generalized profile.d mechanism to add on in Debian. :-)

> Such a solution is shell independent and keeps the administration
> overhead minimal, because administrator doesn't have to know the
> syntax of every shell

The implementation overhead is just too much for my small brain. ;-)

> So if someone really needs something like /etc/profile.d, the above
> idea could be a portable way to implement this.

Definitely!  I'd love to use such a thing!

                                   Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------