Re: Data does NOT belong in Debian (was: Stop Archive bloat)

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 10:57:51PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:43:57PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > > Why not allow Source only packages ?
> >
> > That will win nothing. You can't use apt-get on them, have to rebuilt
> > and have them twice locally.
>
> You could set the arch flag in the packages file to "source-only". Apt
> could then run "apt-get source" and the source be dowloaded. Then it
> can be compiled or directly installed.

No current way to directly installed it. Also no way to add a depends
against those packages since the package doesn't exist.

> Its only data, there is actually no need to compile anything and dpkg
> could be told to install from a source and debian dir directly. Even
> if it has to be compiled, so what. People without a few MB space won´t
> download 47 MB packages.

dpkg currently can't install from a debian dir directly. Also think about
pristine source. Having a few mb of space is already a trouble since
you must have at least twice the size of a binary package to install it.
With source only package and the current situations, you need at least
three time (if done correctly and for straight copy package) the size as
free space. That's just can be too much especially if you upgrade from
an old stable to a new stable! We already need an apt able to take into
account how much space is left so it can download a bunch, install it,
clean up packages, download another bunch, etc.

> After installation the source and deb file can be deleted and
> everything is fine again.
>
> May the Source be with you.
> 			Goswin
>
> PS: Its just a dream to only have to mirror source to install and
> maintain a debian system at the moment, but we´r getting nearer with
> the autobuild demons.

That's a good thing too, but do I really need to build all those xserver
just to install my fbdev server?

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70