Re: /etc/profile.d

dexter@fnet.pl (Piotr Roszatycki) writes:

> I noticed an /etc/profile.d directory in RH distribution.
>
> I think it is good idea. Some packages require to set correct environment
> variables, etc.

Yes, i think so too because it might be very handy for sysadmin
purposes.  But i don't think it is necessary to make this a Debian
default and i consider our policy in this regard quite right.

But on the other hand such a mechanism can save a lot of work on a big
multiuser site with lots of just users who are no *nix geeks and are
happy if they don't have to fiddle with configuration issues.  That's
why i made a litte Debian package called "sysprofile" which implements
a mechanism (for bash only) dealing with systemwide environmental
stuff on a per-application base.  It is just a mechanism and the
sysadmin still has to configure everything before it actually works
but at least the mechanism is there provided by this package.

A similiar mechanism (including support for csh besides bash) has been
implemented by Massimo dal Zotto <dz@tango.cs.unitn.it> and is
available as "http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/debian/shellrc_1.0_all.deb";.

I'm playing since quite a while with the idea of uploading my own
"sysprofile" package to incoming but was quite hesitant because i fear
to be flamed for it by our True Debian Gurus[TM] and because it is
still far from perfect and therefore i'm afraid of becoming awarded
with a brown paper bag for it... ;-)
                                        Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------