Please remove Berlin from main....

Hi all-

Yes, I'm asking that berlin be removed from main for the time being. Many
reasons:

1) The current packages don't work -- they're not binary or source
  compatible with debian's current environment.
2) The packages come from berlin's previous generation.
3) The next gen berlin server is to the point (and farther than) this one
  was, but the only thing going for it at this point is demos. and lots of
  bugs.
4) Berlin will be useable real soon now. However, the things that stand in
  the way of this goal are too big to overcome before freeze, and I don't
  feel like spending time packaging it if it's just going in contrib/ for
  its sheer uselessness at this point.

I personally hope to see berlin with a terminal emulator and an xemacs port
in Debian 3.0's main (perhaps more?? only time will tell).

For those of you that are interested, here is what needs to be done with
berlin before it becomes the ideal GUI from both the user's and programmer's
standpoint:

1) Bugs need to be worked out (of clipping, the coordinate system, etc), and
  the server needs to be optimized (scene graph traversal, event throttling,
  optimized special case display algos).
2) Implementations of all the most common design patterns (and their most
  obvious corresponding widgets) need to be written.
3) We need a good text engine, hopefully one that comes with a professionally
  developed font that meets our standards of freedom. This probably means
  something based on t1lib. Text works currently, but only for one format of
  bitmapped glyph fonts :(

This seems like lots, but it's not compared to what has already happened ;)

<SHAMELESS_PLUG>
Look at http://www.berlin-consortium.org/ if you want to help!
</SHAMELESS_PLUG>

--