Re: Debian's GDB still can't handle threads!

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 11:17:54PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I am almost at the point of filing a release-critical bug against gdb,
> but I thought I'd ask here first so more people can flame me if I'm an idiot ;-)
>
>   Basically, here's the problem: gdb, as distributed by Debian, cannot debug
> threaded programs in any meaningful way.

I don't know the full situation, but HJ Lu continues to maintain gdb 4.17.
He gave the following explanation (on the egcs list):

<quote>
Have you tried gdb 4.18 on Linux? It lacks many important features
added/fixed in gdb 4.17.0.x. People have been working on it. But it
may not be there until 4.19. So for the time being, Linux has to use
gdb 4.17.0.x if you want to debug thread, FPU and reliable hardware
watchpoint on x86.
</quote>

I imagine that HJ (hjl@varesearch.com) would be willing to consult on how
Debian should approach this issue.