Re: libtool patch -- was Re: easy way to tell if "in" package build?

At 17:52 -0500 1999-10-19, othman@cs.wustl.edu wrote:
The way I check if we are in the middle of a Debian build is really
hackish but it should work for the most part.  Here is the changelog
entry from my libtool "-3" package:

libtool (1.3.3-3) unstable; urgency=low
 * Changed the rpath hack to check if debuild is currently running and if
   DEB_BUILD_ARCH variable is of non-zero length.  If both conditions are
   satisfied, it should be safe to assume that libtool is being used in
   the middle of a Debian package build.

That's broken, not everyone uses debuild (especially the autobuilders don't).

   This change allows Debian's libtool to retain the same behavior as the
   upstream libtool, and at the same time enforce Debian's policy of not
   encoding library paths into binaries.  Specifically, libtool will
   encode library paths into binaries only if a Debian package isn't
   being built.

-- Ossama Othman <ossama@debian.org>  Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:43:47 -0500

What good does this do? There is nothing in policy that requires packages run libtoolize at build time, so you affect only native Debian packages that use libtool (which I think is only dpkg).

If I can retain the same behavior as the upstream libtool and still
enforce Debian policy for library paths in Debian package binaries why
would you use the upstream libtool?  In fact, the libtool packages
(1.3.3-3) I just uploaded do just that.  Library path encoding is only
shut off during a Debian package build (at least that what's supposed
to happen :).  All other times, libtool behavior is unmodified.

It's irrelevant because libtool is a maintainer tool, not a build tool, so unless you expect libtoolize to be run in the build target of every package you affect *nothing*.

If someone can up with a better solution than what I currently have
then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Upstream once offered to accept a patch that parsed /etc/ld.so.conf and didn't use rpath for any directory listed there.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>