Re: libtool patch -- was Re: easy way to tell if "in" package build?

Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> wrote:

> What good does this do? There is nothing in policy that requires
> packages run libtoolize at build time, so you affect only native
> Debian packages that use libtool (which I think is only dpkg).

Nor is there anything that prohibits it.  Basically this gives the
maintainer the choice of patching it manually or rerunning libtoolize
which I'm doing in lesstif.

> It's irrelevant because libtool is a maintainer tool, not a build
> tool, so unless you expect libtoolize to be run in the build target
> of every package you affect *nothing*.

You affect all packages that explicitly call libtoolize.

> Upstream once offered to accept a patch that parsed /etc/ld.so.conf
> and didn't use rpath for any directory listed there.

That's not fool-proof because the build environment may not have all
the necessary directories listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.