RE: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Terry Katz wrote:
> I agree that splitting things up would be good, but it is also nice to have
> a single cd with as much on it as possible .. Installing Irix is a major
> pain in the a** .. you have to sit there and swap cd's every few minutes
> (There's an install tools cd, apps cd, foundation 1/2, nfs, compilers (cc
> and c++ are different cds), etc... it sucks when you have to do an install
> on a server which is in a different room)..

I agree. To quote (paraphrase?) my CS prof, "SGI is great with graphics
but they don't know jack about operating systems." But I wouldn't want to
see it go this far, and I think we all have the brains not to let it.

> Yes, Solaris is a single cd, and as mentioned, there are no compilers.. its
> a pretty weak distribution .. I believe SCO packs everything on one cd (yet
> another os that takes forever to install)..

I haven't played with either Solaris or SCO, even though I have both lying
around. heh. :)
My idea wasn't to shoot for one CD; it was merely to shoot for a smaller
CD set / section that would have the basic parts of a running Debian
system (base tools, (somewhat pruned) choice of editors, a working X
system, choice of servers, choice of net clients, etc.). Then we'd have
the major application packages all packed together on another CD set /
section (like teTeX, Netscape choices, other stuff).

> Do whatever's easiest, but don't think you have to 'conform' to how other
> 'commercial' os's are .. there are different factors involved (really ..
> come on .. 30 meg on a cd ? thats like <90 meg across 3 cd's ;-)

I have no intention of suggesting we 'conform' :) I like full, packed CDs
that are worth the burn time. Believe me, with a split between
main/apps/data, we would still have a lot of full CDs, I'm sure :) But
this system would allow us to modularize things a bit, making things a bit
more comprehensible. Combining this with other suggestions would (IMHO)
help to alleviate the growing pains Debian is facing.

Kevin R. Bullock                                _
Ringworld.Associates (http://www.ringworld.org/) \_ The two are only connected
St. John's University, Collegeville, MN         _/  by my presence in each.

--- please use the first e-mail address ----
| kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet |
| krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet  |
----- bitte die erste e-mail benutzen ------

"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler