Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Oct 18, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 12:21:15AM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:
> >=20
> > Just found this huge file...
> >=20
> > Do we really need a 47MB file that will be useful to maybe 10 people
> > using Debian (at most) ? We already fill 5+ CDs...
>
> I am the maintainer of it. Sorry, but I think it is useful. I hoped to=20
> stimulate the final creation of a data section with this.=20

OK, so should I upload the MPEG of South Park's Eric Cartman singing
"Stan's Mom is a Bitch" too?

> BTW: This is a binary-all package which is only installed once. And I=20
> just noticed that SuSE has 6 CDs now - are we able to keep up? ;)

No, it's installed twice: once for source, once for binary-all.
That's the fundamental problem with "pure data" in Debian: it
contributes to information entropy by taking twice the space to
express the same information.

I'll gladly write up a policy proposal that is implementable for a
data section, eliminating the "double information" problem, now that
you've so kindly demonstrated the need (by tying up my 56k link for
several hours, I might add).

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence          |       Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs       |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>     |      http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/      |
|      Open Directory Editor      |         Your site belongs here.         |
|        http://dmoz.org/         |     [Commercialize your sig today!]     |