Re: login clear screen

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Ethan Benson wrote:

 : hello,
 :
 : I searched the archives and did not find anything on this...
 :
 : on redhat the login program clears the screen when it is spawned or
 : when too many login failures occur etc, this leaves the consoles
 : cleared displaying just a single login prompt.  personally I like
 : this, and miss it in Debian (to which I am in the process of
 : switching to)
 :
 : I did not find any options for debian's login to clear the screen...
 : (if there is one somewhere i'd like to know)
 :
 : is the clear screen behavior considered annoying or obnoxious by
 : debian folks or is it just that nobody ever implemented it?

Install package "mingetty" and edit /etc/inittab to taste.  I guess
agetty is the default because it supports console on serial ports - it's
not clear to me why anything other than mingetty is needed for VCs.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD