closes feature

I just tried to use the closes feature with my last upload of ae. It was
my understanding that I only needed a dpkg that creates the entries in the
changes log from parsing the changelog. I'm using the latest dpkg and used
the closes keyword, but saw nothing new in the changelog, and, upon
recieving the notification of installation, the closes field was empty.

So, which version of dpkg does the job right, or is there something else
that I have missed?

Thanks,

Dwarf