Re: New-maintainer proposal

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 02:02:26PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > Please keep this on devel as well. I don't have time to add another list
> > > to my chores. We need one (1) list that can be subscribed to, on which
> > > important traffic like this can be discussed. Multiplying the lists that
> > > _must_ be subscribed to, in order that I may be a contientious maintainer
> > > is simply crap, that fractures the group and keeps some segment of the
> > > maintainership uninformed. This lack of an informed membership is, in my
> > > estimation, a primary reason for all the confusion and conflict that is
> > > currently comming down about such things as new-maintainer.
> >
> > I don't see any logic to this argument.
>
> The logic is quite simple. The more information you put onto lists that
> "people need not subscribe to", the more clueless those people become.

"People don't need to subscribe to debian-devel list". AFAIR, only
-devel-announce is considered highly important to subscribe to, and not even
that if you read it through mailing lists archives of any kind.

> > are not interested in 'project politics' can avoid subscribing to
> > -project.
>
> These "people" you refer too are Debian developers, right? Why would a
> person expect to be a developer and not need to know about such things as
> "project politics"

We all know what Jules meant by "project politics" - the usual flamewars
about various non-strictly-technical issues regarding Debian. I (and I
believe many others) think that those things don't belong to the
debian-devel mailing list, but on the debian-project list.

Don't get me wrong - flamewars are okay, can even bring some conclusions
or results - but only if they don't happen in inappropriate places. Now
that we have debian-project mailing list, debian-devel has become an
inappropriate place for non-technical flamewars.

> > Most (um.. this is a guess, I don't know) maintainers *aren't*
> > subscribed to -devel as it is, so you it certainly currently fails its
> > goal as a place where important traffic can be discussed.
>
> The fact that developers can _not_ subscribe to devel is a _large_
> mistake.

Who said developers can not subscribe to debian-devel list?

> > Also note that some people may not consider this important traffic.
>
> Then they should not have accepted a developer position with the Debian
> project.

Conclusions, decisions, votings - these are important, sure. Whole ~500-msgs
flamewars regarding the subject are rarely important.

Anyway, here I am, talking about CC:ing inappropriate lists, and CC:ing
a couple of such myself... :< :(

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name