Re: [OT] Good c++ book

Ruud de Rooij wrote:

> Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com> writes:
>
> > I've got a copy of The Complete Reference: C++ Third Edition here by Herbert
> > Schildt (ISBN: 0-07-882476-1). It covers ANSI Standard C and C++ and has a
> > very well done section on STL.
>
> I don't know anything about C++, but Schildt's books about C aren't
> that good.  See for example http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html
> or ask around in comp.lang.c.

This particular book got a very high rating and is very complete. There are
some things which are missing, some of the SGI STL extensions, but they aren't
standard anyway. It does have a good section on RTTI and the standard I/O
library which I found quite useful. The sections on wchar/wstring were a bit
small however, but most of it's the same as char/string.

The STL reference is very well done and quite understandable. There could have
been more examples, but the writing was quite clear unlike a lot of other
books I've read.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who has previous experience with C++ or C.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com