Re: How about some uniformity in doc names

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 03:17:29PM -0700, Joel Klecker wrote:
> At 23:47 +0200 1999-10-11, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> >Maybe should the policy told about libraries, too?
> >The common naming scheme is 'lib*', but there are 'xlib6g' and 'zlib1g'
> >which broke this convention.
>
> policy already knows about libraries, the two packages you cite are
> examples of packages named wrongly, but it is currently not possible
> to smoothly rename them due to the lack of versioned provides in dpkg.
>
> As zlib maintainer, I have developed a plan to phase in 'libz1' over
> time, I have figured out how to do it without versioned provides.

Well, I'm not sure the xlib6/xlib6g packages are named *wrongly*, exactly.

The zlib package provides exactly one shared object: libz.so.x.y.z.

The X library packages provide several libraries, only one of which is
libX11.so.x.y.z, a.k.a. Xlib.

/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3
/usr/X11R6/lib/libPEX5.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXIE.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.3
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.so.6.1

I'm not sure busting xlib6g into 12 library packages would be all that
great an idea.  On the other hand, with the forthcoming Xaw version 7 --
and nothing else getting a major number version that high, it may become
necessary.

Nevertheless, I'd like to know what your libz transition plan might be, so
that I can have it as an option should this change in the future.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     uh, well, something bad will happen.