doc-base and /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc transition

Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de> writes:

> > In that case, shouldn't the bug go against doc-base?
>
> The problem is somewhere between doc-base and dhelp, but both authors
> doesn't seem to have much interest in solving it...

I'm *very* interested in solving the problem.  It is very upsetting
when no one asks me for my opinion on this stuff, but then concludes I
don't care about the issue.

No -- I do *not* keep up with debian-devel.  Please be sure to CC me
directly (or the debian-doc list) on any doc-base issues.

In my tests, so long as the following conditions are met, /usr/doc
should transition to /usr/share/doc should go smoothly:

  * 'install-docs -r' run in prerm in the upgrade case (as well as
    remove of course)

  * a new doc-base is used (which will physically remove .dhelp files
    that it created)

AFAIK, debhelper does the right thing, so most people are fine.

If this is not the case, I need someone to explain to me a case where
this is not happening, and I will fix it will all alacrity, I assure
you.