rc.local

> Directories for local initialization scripts
>   * Stalled.
>   * Proposed by Julio.
>   * Add a directory /etc/init.d/local for locally installed init
>     scripts, which can be handled by update-rc.d like the scripts in
>     /etc/init.d. Also allow for ~/.rc.d directories.
>     ( People seem puzzled about why this would be necessary at all. )

I think this is a good idea.  I recently set up a Debian potato system
to be a web terminal, thus I had to run a startx on boot.  However,
/etc/init.d/rmnologin is by default run at 99, which is bad if I want
to have stuff happen *after* all other initalization.

My solution was to create /etc/init.d/local:

#!/bin/sh
run-parts /etc/rc.local

and do:
update-rc.d -f rmnologin remove
update-rc.d rmnologin start 98 2 3 4 5 .
update-rc.d local start 99 2 3 4 5 .

I just plopped my startx script into /etc/rc.local.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti