Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 04:36:04PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:

> I've install postgresql on my home computer. I need this daemon only
> sometimes. I don't want to start it every time I reboot system.

you need to do something non-standard, so you should do a little bit of
work to accommodate your own needs.

if i needed to do the above then i would edit /etc/init.d/postgresql and
(in the case statement) change "start)" to "go)". this way, it would
not get started at boot time, but i could easily start it by running
"/etc/init.d/postgresql go".

simple. takes <20 seconds with vi. minimal change, so follows principle
of least surprise. easy to remember. init.d scripts are conffiles so it
won't be automatically replaced at the next upgrade.

you have to re-do the change if you ever upgrade and answer "Y" to
dpkg's question about replacing /etc/init.d/postgresql.

craig sanders