Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Clint Adams wrote:

> > debian's attitude is: if you want something different, DIY. and more
> > importantly, it lets you DIY.
>
> Err.. what Unix DOESN'T let you DIY?

Every Unix lets you DIY, of course. The problem is the *'/(&%
configuration done by most all distributions and commercial Unices. It
says: "do it our way or DIY everything". Now DIY everything is an option
if you've had several years of experience as Unix sysadmin, but how do you
get there? And why do you need a distribution involving years of work of
several hundred people then? ftp; configure; make install; vi /etc/foo
does it (maybe with some struggles in between).

What brought me to Debian is the "we provide a reasonably working setup
for most users, and if you don't like it you can go and DIY without f*ing
up all the rest and fighting some AutoMagicallyMisConfigured(TM) utility"
approach. Try SuSE's yast if you can't see the difference.

Debian isn't RH, but it isn't Slackware either. It has some of the goodies
of both sides. In the case of daemon configuration, there is still some
work to be done, however. Set up (sensibly) and start the first one
providing a service and leave following ones for DIY could be a good
solution.

Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany