Re: possible problem with new perl, libc6 on Sep 23rd

Mirek Kwasniak <mirek@zind.ikem.pwr.wroc.pl> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:22:02AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> [...]
> > It is left like this until perl is configured and the postinst script
> > takes care of moving perl-5.005.dist to perl-5.005.
>

> > Why does perl need to do all this hardlink magic and also leave us with a
> > binary that dpkg knows nothing about?!
>
> You found second problem with perl (perl violates Debian Policy?).
>
> Main problem is - before we have perl configured we don't have binary of
> /usr/bin/perl:
>
>    Checking available versions of perl, updating links in /etc/alternatives ...
>    (You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
>    Last package providing perl (/usr/bin/perl) removed, deleting it.
>
> and dpkg system isn't usable (in this case failed libc6 postinst). Because
> today we need both 5.004 and 5.005 (?) I think it's time to make 5.005
> mandatory and 5.005 should have real /usr/bin/perl.
>
> Mirek
>
> PS I was happy because my upgrade has another order (libc6 before perl -
> why?) and failed just after unpacking perl (it was caused by rpm). When I
> restarted upgrade (after I removed rpm) apt-get first configured perl.

I encountered a similar problem (or maybe the same problem in a
different way -- sorry I don't have a log).

I upgraded libc6 and perl last night, along with a few other things,
and the libc6 postinst failed; everything else went fine.  When I
retried the same libc6 upgrade afterwards, planning to capture the
failure and file a bug report, it worked fine.

Looking at libc6.postinst I see that it runs (at least) two
perl scripts: update-rc.d and suidregister.  I believe it was
update-rc.d that failed, but I can't be positive.