Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

> > Okay, then solve the problem of which one should actually work on the
> > standard port?  You can't use update-alternatives if the software is
>
> Well, I would prefer that things didn't start listening for connections
> without asking first, but I can't imagine that that's a popular
suggestion.

That arguement has gone on many times (check the list archives), but the
gist of the matter is that if you don't want it to start, why did you
install it (dpkg --unpack works wonders).

> > launched in a different manner.  If you have such an advanced setup, it
> > isn't really that hard to build it yourself, or use --force.
>
> And if I did an apt-get dist-upgrade, I would get this:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   cucipop: Conflicts: pop3-server
>            Conflicts: qpopper but <version> is installed
>   gnu-pop3d: Conflicts: pop3-server
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>
> And if I were to do an apt-get -f dist-upgrade, it would remove
> gnu-pop3d and qpopper, leaving cucipop.

Of course.  Now if you built them yourself, dpkg wouldn't touch them.

> So what you're telling me is that anyone with a "complex" setup
> shouldn't bother using Debian?

People who want such "complex" setups should have enough sense to be able to
figure out how to make them work, without imposing additional difficulty on
the maintainers for such a rare case.  There is not generally a use for more
than one POP server, ident server, mail server, etc.  I can find exceptions,
but it isn't Debian's job to make every possible configuration easy, just
the most likely and typical ones.