Re: Disk Performance

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:18:52AM +0100, Gordon Russell wrote:
> I am currently playing around with vmware, running win98. However, the
> performance stinks (I am using a beta release though). The strange thing
> is though that if I do a
> find / -print > /dev/null
> in another window, the performance IMPROVES...

It sounds to me like you're not getting scheduled enough by vmware.
Your find will generate i/o events, which should increase the immediate
scheduling priority in vmware, and should decrease the length of linux
your timeslice.

I'd look at the vmware docs to see if there's so other way (perhaps a
config file?) to bias its default behavior in this diretion.

--
Raul