Re: Crazy Idea: debian developer conference

Joey:

> I've been thinking about this for a while, but it always seemed like a crazy
> idea. But it seems other people were thinking about it too, and others like
> the idea, so I had better post about it.
>
> Wouldn't it be great if all the debian developers could be flown in to a
> convention site, get to meet each other, really tighten up the gpg web of
> trust, attend talks by developers, discuss important issues in person, and
> so on? It would really make us more of a community.

'tis a great idea.  It would bring the global Debian community closer together.

> The two big questions:
>
>         Where?
>
>                 Preferably somewhere with a high density of debian developers.
>                 The California Bay Area (20 some developers with many more
>                 nearby) and the Netherlands come to mind. We'd need a map of
>                 where people live to make an informed choice.

I suggest we host it in Dallas, Texas.

1.  Dallas is very much a central location in the United States.
2.  Dallas is the flight hub for American Airlines.
3.  Dallas, Texas is not too far from Mexico as well.
4.  Dallas Metroplex is a very high-tech region in areas of telecommuications and
internet
5.  Dallas offers excellent conference space with the InfoMart and Dallas
Convention Center
6.  Dallas is home to the North Texas Linux Users Group, www.ntlug.org.
7.  We at Novare in Dallas host the Debian master and list servers and are
Debian developers as well, so it would be a great chance for us to meet all of
you
8.  Last, we could call it "Debian does Dallas" ;)

>         How much $$ would it take, and where's that come from?
>
>                 I'm figuring around $700 per developer, for plane fare and
>                 lodging. If 250 attend that's $175k. Plus some unkown amount
>                 to rent out a convention center.
>
>                 We always seem to have money we don't need to spend on
>                 hardware or bandwidth, but I don't think it's on this scale.
>                 Corporate donations? I don't really know.
>
> Is this idea worth pursuing?

The idea is definitely worth pursuing.  The costs can become significant
so we want to promote low cost flights and lodging.  I'm aware that there
are high concentrations of developes in the San Fran/San Jose Bay area
as well as in Europe.  Whatever it takes I hope it comes together.

Eric

--
Eric Scroger                            http://www.promosaic.com
eric@novare.net                         http://www.novare.net