dist-upgrade and perl

I've finally succeeded in getting a working potato box by installing
slink base system (using cdrom), but it took 3 tries.  I've done this
before (the machine I'm using to write this was installed this way),
but never had this much trouble.

What I discovered was that changing sources.list to point to potato
and doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' does /not/ upgrade
perl from 5.004 to 5.005.  This causes several of the installation and
post-installation scripts to fail, the first being libncurses4.  (Later
failures /may/ have been due to libncurses4 not being configured.  I'm
not sure.)

My fix was to use dselect to select perl 5.005 for installation.  This
worked.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is this a bug?  If it is a bug,
against what?

--
Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.