Re: Which gcc builds potato?

Joel Klecker writes:
 > At 20:00 +0200 1999-09-21, Matthias Klose wrote:
 > >>The egcs packages are used to build the libstdc++2.8 and libstdc++2.9
 > >packages and therefore are still in potato. For the release they have
 > >to be modified to build the runtime libraries only (if you want to
 > >step forward for this task, you are welcome).
 >
 > It also needs to build some sort of c compiler for alpha, since gcc
 > 2.95* cannot compile glibc on that architecture. Unless there is a
 > fix in 2.95.2, which I doubt since I have seen it said that the root
 > of the problem is too big to be addressed in a point release.

2.95.2 isn't released yet. So there is hope ...

 > Also, there is not the possibility to build 'libstdc++2.8' or
 > 'libstdc++2.9' on a glibc 2.1-based system due to ABI changes in
 > libio.

There is a patch in the bug report for libstdc++2.8; I didn't try yet
to build. libstdc++2.9 should be removed from potato and replaced by a
symlink to libstdc++2.9-glibc-2.1. From my understanding, the
libstdc++2.9(-glibc-2.0) won't run reliable on a glibc-2.1 based
system. As a release goal for potato (well, we don't have release
goals anymore, do we ;-) all native packages should depend on
libstdc++-2.10. These packages should be recompiled with the final
gcc-2.95.2, which is expected in October.