Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

 Santiago> David Welton wrote:
 >> Xemacs21 - runs *autoconf* to generate other makefiles, which are
 >> then run.  [...]

autoconf doesn't generate makefiles.  It generates a configure file.

 >> Do you seem what I mean?  Each of these is doing something
 >> slightly different, and it is a bit frustrating not to see a bit
 >> more cohesiveness.  Not that any of these things are *bad*, per
 >> se, just that there seem to be a lot of packages that do stuff
 >> like this.

 Santiago> Well, for this particular case (xemacs21), I think that
 Santiago> running autoconf in the debian/rules file is "bad per se",
 Santiago> and should be discouraged at least, if not forbidden by
 Santiago> policy (I guess it is already forbidden by the GNU
 Santiago> standards).

You could have pointed it out to me in private rather than say bad
things where I wouldn't notice (just happened to grep the mail folder
because I was looking for another old message).  There actually is a
reason it was done (the configure.in file was modified.  Know any
other way to recreate the configure file?).

As it is this is no longer neccessary and will go away (patch upstream
fixes the problem I was having).

At least I did remove the configure file so that the patch wasn't
ungodly large.

Dres

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com>         |  Blessed Be!