Re: Guessing the date style from the timezone for postgresql postinst

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 01:45:55AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> In order to help remove unnecessary prompts from the Debian PostgreSQLl
> installation script, I want it to guess the local date style, to be chosen
> from the following list:
> [...]
> I propose to include the attached script. If the zone belongs to USA or
> Canada, I use American format; if it belongs to another country I use
> European format; if the country is unidentified I try to guess from
> the zone abbreviation and its offset from UTC.  For zones which aren't based
> on regional names I use ISO.
>
> Are there any other countries besides USA and Canada which use American
> datestyle?  Am I right in thinking that Canada does?

Canada is a very multicultural country, and it really is every
person for him- or herself. Personally, I prefer the ISO standard
date format, and have adapted my personal habits to use this in
everything. It simply makes sense. I also don't understand dd/mm or mm/dd
differences between various people, particularly on wonderful
days like the 3rd of April or the 4th of March (hint: you can't
tell the difference unless you ask the person!)

It's my personal preference that ISO standard be used unless otherwise
told - but that's me.