Re: Too many kernels in unstable

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> wrote:

>         In another thread, I am dealing with exactly this problem. My
> machine hangs with 2.0.37 and 2.2.x, but is OK with 2.0.36.  But had
> to take a piece of driver code from 2.0.37.  There are quite a few new
> issues arising from two gcc branches and two stable kernel branches.

I understand.  I tried installing 2.2.12 on my laptop and noticed that I
was having trouble with the APM support.  Therefore, I returned to the
2.2.10 version.

>        Having a few kernels around gives some flexibility in trying to
> put together a working system. 11 kernels is probably too much, but
> a couple of each might be OK.  We (someone !) could also package the
> patches, which is a bit more of a pain for the user, but we could get
> all 12 new kernels without adding so much bulk to the archive.

I could definitely live with this.  I wouldn't need to build PCMCIA
modules for patches.

On a side note, years ago (when I had a smaller laptop), I used to use
patches quite frequently to get the PCMCIA modules built for the various
kernels provided by Debian.  This worked, for the most part, but I
eventually abandoned this technique when I started to have problems
building modules that were truly compatible with the kernels.  Building
kernel modules is a tricky business; extra care taken from the beginning
saves much time later rebuilding.

Brian