Re: (g)mc-4.5.38-2 still broken

Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.net.pl> writes:

> Well then, they should be provided to the Debian user. They, AFAIR,
> install a similar function to the one presented in the other
> mail. The standard /etc/profile and similar scripts for other shells
> could be modified to source all scripts in, eg, /etc/shell-ext (just
> an idea - don't take the name seriously :)) so that they can install
> appropriate functions, aliases etc.

This is against policy (3.8) for very good reasons.

The users' environment is not to be touched by packages.  If the
maintainer want to document the example so that sysadmins can easily
put it into their /etc/profiles themselves, fair enough.

Personally, I would be quite upset to find that someone had put this
into my environment, because I have a very strong expectation that
when I exit a program, I'll be in the directory I started from.

Cheers, Phil.