Re: Metapackages (was Re: Debian Weekly News - September 14th, 1999)

  Martin> * "Laurent" == Laurent Martelli <martelli@iie.cnam.fr>
  Martin> wrote:

  Martin> * "Stephane" == Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr>
  Martin> wrote:

  Laurent> It would also be nice to be able to select the packages one
  Laurent> by one, thus providing a new way to hierarchise packages
  Laurent> without messing with the old directory structure of the
  Laurent> distributions. Is this planned ?

  Martin> This is not subject to the task packages.

I fully agree. I think that classification should be kept out of
packages, so that it can be changed without changing all the packages.

  Martin> For better organisation, there were several proposals, but
  Martin> they were not persueded further although there wasn't much
  Martin> resistance - there wasn't simply anyone who wanted to push
  Martin> it through the decision layers).

See above.

  Martin> Take a DN Server. A user could search on "DNS", "DNS
  Martin> server", "DNS-Server", "bind", "name server" etc. This is
  Martin> the same effect as with search engines, where you never get
  Martin> the hit you really searched for.

I introduced some kind of "personnal indexing engine" for w3-emacs
which allows you to associate keywords to bookmarked pages. When you
want to search for a keyword, there's completion on it so that you can
quickly find the right one. The same goes when you want to associate a
new keyword to a page, so your likely to choose an already existant
keyword if you can find one that satisfies your need.

Having synonims could also be a solution.

--
Laurent Martelli
martelli@iie.cnam.fr