Re: ttyS0 vs cua0

*- On 15 Sep, Peter S Galbraith wrote about "ttyS0 vs cua0"

> How universal is the use of ttyS0 instead of cua0 in other
> distribution (e.g. Red Hat)?  I told the upstream maintainer
> of powstatd (a UPS monitor) that I has changing cua0 to ttyS0 in
> the docs and config file for Debian, and he said he'd changed it
> upstream too if that's what everybody uses.
>
> Docs such as the UPS-HOWTO use either at various places.
> The Serial-Programming-HOWTO uses only ttyS0 style.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

It was my understanding that the cua* devices were only used for call
out devices and not standard serial device.  So the UPS should have
used ttyS* in the first place.

As for use of cua* devices and a standard see the Changes file in the
2.2.x kernel documentation under 'General Information':

  "Also, please remember that cua* devices are now obsolete.  Switch to
 the corresponding ttyS* device instead (e.g., cua0 -> ttyS0, cua1 ->
 ttyS1, etc.)."

Brian