Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

* Steve Lamb said:

> > >     Then why /home/ftp instead of /ftp?  Why /var/htdocs instead of /www?
> > Because ftp is a USER and user's home belongs in /home. /var/www (NOT
> > /var/htdocs, btw) because the home page is varying data, not a static one.
> > Makes sense to you? Probably not, but it does for me.
>
>     Oh, I get it now.  So if it is a *user* then we clearly place it in home.
>
>     So...  Where's /home/qmail?  /home/games anyone?  /home/news?  /home/uucp?
> Wait, wait, according to you, all the man pages clearly belong in /usr/man!
> Oh, rats, what happened to /home/www-data? /home/majordomo?  /home/msql?
> /home/irc?  /home/gnats?  /home/root?  /home/mail!  /home/list!
> Wow, Marek, Debian sure placed all of those USER's home in /home.  I'm so glad
> you cleared that up.
For another time you show your ignorance. ftp is a user which CAN LOG into
the system and which does log into the system. majordomo, msql, man etc. are
all created just to make the server more secure. Are you capable of
understanding that? All users that can log into the system from outside are
put in /home and below. /root is on the / partition because it must be able
to log in if nothing but / mounts. Usually /home is on a different file
system. Your sarcasm is unnecessary, unprofessional, childish. Get real -
you know squat about Unix. Learn. RTFM. Think. Then come back and talk with
sense. Until then just be quiet and stop making fuss.

>     What does varying data have to do with anything about the placement of
> top-level directories based on a whim?  I mean, already /var/www is wrong
> because it is a *USER* and should be placed in /home with the other varying
> data, like /home/ftp is.
No. www is not a user. And even if it was, then it doesn't log into the
system. There's a www-data user because there's no reason to run the httpd
with root privs.

marek