Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 02:34:55PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> > I'm not a debian developer yet (and seems like I won't even attempt till I
> > feel that new maintainers are welcome),
>
> If you've got a really useful package done up that you think would add to
> Debian, get someone to sponsor you.

I've heard the sponsorship idea, but I doubt it works gracefully.

> If you've got some free time, and just want to help, write some manpages,
> fix some bugs, work on boot-floppies, stuff like that.

submitting bugs is the easiest, and I try to do it whenever possible.
Though I'd prefer to code things.

> Activity like that's *very* welcome.
Specifically, I'm about to install a Debian based Beowulf-cluster. I'll
package things up and make them available. I'm considering beowulf kernel
patches, scripts, adm tools, doc, etc. Hopefully, installing beowulf nodes
and server/development workstations that run Debian will be easier.

> `baseconf', is, I guess, what the bootfloppies' dinstall program does. If
> you're interested, you could probably mangle dinstall and debconf to come
> up with something that achieves all that and more.

I know what dinstall does. I thought of something that would help conf. a
base system on an already installed system, actually being a front end to
configuration scripts for the spooky base source I was talking about.

> > Another issue is the division of Debian archives and development into
> > logical sections such that development gets a speed-up. In that respect, a
> > minimal change to the current organization is necessary.
>
> Help make the current system work. Spend a couple of months on that, then
> start thinking about what can be changed, having been a part of it on the
> inside, as well as just watching.

Definitely, that's what I should do. Though all the slink's I installed
are
working great except a couple of rare bugs.

> It's really not as horrible as everyone seems to want to make out. It's
> got us to being among the very best distributions on just about every
> level, and it's managing to keep us there, too.

Well, I think it's far from being horrible. So far, this is the only Linux
distribution that cares about technical issues. Wht I proposed was meant
to organize things in a way to improve on some of the aspects. In
particular, I think the release work could be better coordinated if a
logical higher level categorization is brought.

> Cheers,
> aj, wondering at what point he should killfile the naysayers instead of
>     trying to refute them

Keep cool,

> --
> Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
> I don't speak for anyone save myself. PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
>  ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
>         results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
>                                         -- Linus Torvalds

__
exa