Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 10:21:57AM +0200, Anders Arnholm wrote:
>  >     If you like FreeBSD...  *USE FREEBSD*.
> You mean that if he likes the installation and flexibility of FreeBSD
> usit, ignore rthat Debian does have someother things that are better
> beacus some pepole in the Debian comunity does not have tha same
> problems...

Oh for god's sake.

If you really care about any of this, then

**** STOP WRITING TO -devel AND START **DOING** SOMETHING ABOUT IT *****

There are already projects *well* underway to get the same results,
that could use some help (coding, documentation, testing). They /don't/
need continually argument on -devel about what's the One True Way of doing
it.

If you don't like any of them and are convinced your way is better then
start your own project. Whatever. BUT JUST _DO_ IT.

For configuration management and mass installs, see dconfig.deb (in potato)
and email the maintainer; or see debconf (URLs have been posted previously)
and contact the config mailing list.

For improving the release structure, see my previous message on this
list under the subject `Re: speeding up the release cycle (was Re:
Debian's problems)' for some things you can do _right now_ to help that
along.

There's plenty of stuff to be done, and sitting around talking each
others face off is non-productive at best.

Herd of cats? Bunch of badly housetrained puppy dogs more like it. Feh.

ObWhatHaveIHelpedWithLately: debbugs and debconf

Cheers,
aj, who thinks that rather than stopping uploads to unstable while there are
    RC bugs, we might like to try stopping posts to -devel.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds