Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 02:42:37PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     What happens to /opt is determined by the sysadmin, not by us, not
> by commercial software vendors, not by the system users (unless the
> sysadmin grants permission).

In the sense that the sysadmin determines what gets installed in /opt/
yes.  However, please compare http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-3.8.html
with http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.6.html again.

I'm not saying you're too dense to figure this out on your own, but:
/opt/ is for add on software packages, and /usr/local/ is less structured.

--
Raul