Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 12:32:19 PM, Jonathan wrote:
> > I hate being FORCED to do an "install" when a "copy" is just as good and
> > saves far more effort.  I duplicate hundreds of FreeBSD disks every month.
> > If only Linux was so easy.
>     If you like FreeBSD...  *USE FREEBSD*.
>     Easy, innit?

No, it is NOT easy.  I don't like the secret FreeBSD cabals.  I don't like
their subtle "breaking" of drivers in such a way that for normal use they
work, but unless you know the one line tweak in the source file, it'll never
perform as good as the box of one of the insiders.  Or break it in such a
way that their commercial interests are protected, their proprietary systems
cannot be easily duplicated, and so forth.  That is totally against the
spirit of Debian.  At least, being so secret about it is against the spirit
of Debian :>

I stick to Debian for a reason.  But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of
things about FreeBSD *technically* to like.

Jonathan