Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:20:52PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Assuming you don't care about clean administration of backups (backup
> > office software with local mods?).
>
>     Backups are for data, not programs.

Where did you get the idea that people must install programs in
/usr/local/?

> > Assuming you don't care about writing documentation for new system owners.
> > (Try: "You have full responsibility and control over everything in
> > /usr/local/, except if you install commercial software").
>
>     How do they not retain full control of /usr/local?  Am I missing something
> or since when did Debian install commercial software?

Check out the social contract.  On the off chance you've not read it:
we support the use of non-free software on debian systems.

Or maybe you think that support stops with the specific examples listed
in the social contract -- that we should explicitly not comply with some
basic reasonable steps other people in the linux community have taken
to address the needs of people using commercial software?

--
Raul