Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

At 11:42 -0400 1999-09-14, Ben Collins wrote:
I think he means that debian/rules should not run configure everytime you
execute "debian/rules build". I personally hate porting something, and
everytime the build dies and you need to change something small to try and
fix it, starting the build runs configure again.

These builds need something like:

	if [ ! -f stamp-configure ]; then \
		./configure ; \
		touch stamp-configure; \
	fi

Or better:

config.status:
	./configure --with-foo --disable-bar --enable-baz

build: config.status
	# do whatever
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>