Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

I agree. A /usr/packages was not planned to be included in the Base System.
I was thinking of doing it as a separate project.  Ie, doing a
  cd /usr/packages/audio/mpg123; make install
would, under Debian, use apt-get source to get the source, unpack it,
compile it, create the debian package, and install the package with dpkg.

Something similar can be done with Redhat and SRPMs.  Its just a potential
additional user interface to the package system, that can itself be
implemented as a package in Debian.

Doing the Base has my full attention now though.