Re: Deficiencies in Debian

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 03:22:12AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> We currently lack:
>
>  [snipped problems]

Yet another nice analysis but mostly unhelpful. Most developers are already
aware of the problems we just miss people who build solutions to the
problems. I didn't see any specific, easily implementable improvement
suggestion in your email.

> I have to acknowledge that Debian has reached the point where it has
> grown too much and cannot continue as before.  At the moment we
> already have chaos all over with no proper leadership.  The next
> release is months away, boot-floppies are not working, several goals
> are only slowly getting passed, still it is the bazaar of little
> cathedrals.

Apocalypse now ...

I don't see more chaos all over the place than we had before. In fact I
see _more_ organization than we ever had before. We can even afford the
luxury to have dedicated maintainers for gcc, X, glibc, ...

> Most developers are only working on their tiny five packages or are
> even entirely inactive nowadays.  Only very few people are taking care
> of general management tasks.  Remember this is an association of >500
> people.  There is still no proper management.  Guess what would have
> happened if it were a company...

If it were a company there would be more people working fulltime on Debian
although I admit that I often get the impression that we've got volunteers
working fulltime on Debian too ;-)

Sorry to take your time,

				Christian

--